Before you make that service call, check the:
- Does it PTT (Push To Talk)?
- Is it plugged in?
Power to radio:
- For mobile radios: Check under the hood using a volt meter: Do you have 12 volts of power? Do you have ground power?
- Is everything connected and does equipment look intact?
- For mobile radios: Is the antenna tightened to the roof of the vehicle?
- Is it connected to radio?
- Is the path clear from contacts to the antenna?
- Is the area under the antenna whip free of corrosion?
- Is the radio on the proper channel?
- Are all employees using the correct channels when contacting each other?
- Is the volume turned up on the unit? (You’d be surprised.)
- Is the speaker connected to the radio?
- Is the battery fully charged? You can check battery life in the field with a volt meter.
- Is the battery on correctly and tightly?
- Is the battery expired? Check the date.